So I got 4 Adafruit Trinkets — 2 3.3V and 2 5V. They were part of a mass order we did at the local hackerspace. I’m really excited. I’ll post more of my world domination plans soon — I don’t have time right now by virtue of it being 10:00 on a Sunday night.
G’by for now!
I’ve got a lot today. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to post recently because of school. But, last week, I got bearings, LM8UUs. They’re beautiful. I’ll post pics later. Then, this past weekend, I was able to take apart a printer, from which I got a belt, a rod, a pulley, and 2 steppers; a normal one and a PG35L. Unfortunately, there’s one spot on the casing of the PG35L where you can see the wire inside. My brother found the motor on my shelf, saw the copper wire inside, thought “Ooh! Pretty!”, and tried to take the wire out. He failed to do so, but succeeding in UTTERLY DESTROYING MY PRECIOUS. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HATESES BROTHERS! WE HATESES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about that. My inner Gollum manifested itself again; pesky Smeagol!. Anyway, As you can probably imagine, I got pretty wound up over that. But it’s all good now.
Anyway, I tried a bearing test after that — which means I put the bearing on the rod. I have no video, but it was basically a complete disaster. The bearing was super tight, and I had to push it to get it to move. I thought “Okay, maybe you have to break in the bearing a little. That’s when I looked at the rod, and saw that the bearing was starting to groove it.
On top of that, I couldn’t even get the bearing off, because both the bearing and the rod were so greasy by this point. I’m not sure if it’ll turn out to be usable.
I’m not even sure if it’s 8mm. The original mechanism from the printer used integrated plastic bushings; they were designed as part of the carriage. Unless I find a way to get those bushings out without breaking them, I don’t know what I’ll do with that rod.
evam out for now.
PS — I don’t really hateses my brother forever — but my inner Gollum might!
But, I got more parts; another 7 M8 Nuts, 6 M8 Washers, and 3 M3 Nuts.
Like I said last time, it’s a start, right?
And, I rethought my whole printer plan.
I’m still in love with the Morgan’s SCARA configuration and simplicity, but now I’m also in love with the simplicity and ridiculously low parts count of the Smartrap (be sure to check the Reprap Wiki page too). I eagerly await the full release of 0.4.
Above you see ALL the parts needed to build your own Smartrap. Amazing, right?
It uses a fishing line drive for the XY axes, but Sergei says he has a rack and pinion version in the works. I can’t wait!
I also now think that this will be my new first printer, because of the lower parts count and cost. But, I’ll immediately set it to work fabricating parts for a Morgan.
I plan to (and encourage you to) contribute to the Smartrap’s Indiegogo campaign as well.
On a different note, I saw a study the other day talking about possible dangerously high Ultra-fine Particle (UFP) emissions from 3D printers. I’ve started to try to figure out how to ventilate my printing area to minimize this effect.
Anyway, hope your weekend was as awesome as mine was, and Happy Thanksgiving! (if you’re in the US)
Looks like I’m back on the polar printer project…BUT with some changes.
First of all, I’ll continue trying to build a Morgan, while designing this printer to print out once I finish my Morgan.
Also, it’ll now be based more on the R-360 concept from Replicator Warehouse. Of course, I’ll take inspiration from the PiMaker, but I’m really drawn to the R-360’s extremely low vitamin count; I think I could build the whole frame (sans electronics) for under $30.
Also on the topic of my Morgan build, I got my first parts finally!
Yep, you saw right! What you see there are 5 brand-spanking-new stainless steel M8 nuts!
It’s a start, right?
I’ve started learning how to 3D scan stuff. I’m really excited about it. I’ve done a couple of 123D Catch scans, and I’m also learning VisualSFM. I just did a penguin scan using Catch, which is now on Thingiverse.
On to the main reason for the post. Remember the mysterious new design I was talking about a couple of weeks ago? I ended up finishing that other variant. I’ll go ahead and reveal that the design was a Hnefatafl board. But, I’m not going to post it quite yet; I’m gonna hold out to print it.
Anyway, sorry this post is so brief; I’m really busy right now.
Hey Denizens of the RepRap world!
First off, sorry I’ve been off the grid for so long; I’ve had zero time for my hobbies since classes started. My polar printer project is on the backburner for now (I never did much with it except for a few concept sketches, which I may or may not post; they’re really rough and hard to understand); I’m thinking of trying to start development a Morgan derivative over my fall break. I’m thinking another leadscrew nut and/or another threadless ball screw and a frame brace to stop the bed from sagging on the far side.
Also, look for a file dump sometime soon; I was hoping to be able to get this model printed, but that didn’t really work out. So, I may post the SCADs and STLs to Thingiverse sometime in the near future.
As always, thanks for reading!